Regret and Regret Quotes : Overcoming Regrets

Regret and regret quotes

Had I know,  I would have do this or that. Sometimes we do regret what we did in the past and hope it could be corrected.

Have made series of mistakes but have learnt to live with my past mistakes.
The story of Danny Stevenson propelled me to write this piece. "I would have been a pharmacist"  said Danny but it was just a mere quotes as he regretted not being able to achieve his dream.
I will share some regret quotes but before

I do, I will like you to learn from the story am about to share :

The Regret of Danny

I read a book immediately after my high school about Danny Stevenson,  I learnt from is own regret and plan never to fall into such error. When he was in High School, he dreamt of becoming a pharmacist but he got lost along the line and traded in the wrong part. Right from high school he started dealing with hard drugs being motivated by his friends. This made young danny  go into drug trafficking. An excerpt from the book, "I would have been a pharmacist" 

I could have cared less if there was a God growing up.  I figured someone must have created this world,  but I didn't know who,  and I didn't really care. For over 25 years I shot heroin.  I remember one time when I had just gotten released from jail for doing 3-6 months...  I went over to a friend's house,  and we decided to get a couple of kegs of whiskey,  so we went down to the local store,  and while there I ran into this fella I knew.  He said,  "hey Danny,  I have some real good drugs."
I said, " That's great! Why don't you come on over to house?!" So he came over to the house and we went into the restroom and I shot about $100 worth of heroin in my veins,  and I ended up overdosing.  He rushed me to the hospital.
When I woke up from coma,  I was in an ICU unit handcuffed to the bed. I was wanted for another crime in another city. So, back to jail I went.  Much of my life was in and out of jail.
Let's back up to my earlier childhood, before going any further.  Growing up,  I was always a radical type.  I was depressed it semmed,  almost all the time.  I hung out on the street corners a lot,  because I didn't want tk to go home. At home there was always a lot of partying and screaming at each other going on, so it was mostly always uncomfortable for me there.  I felt no one really love me.
So I hung out with the guys on the street corner.  Half the time we wouldn't even go to school,  when we were suppose to. We were out doing whatever drugs we could fine,  and running the streets of Phoenix,  Arizona doing crimes at the age of 12. It was at that age I got my first felony,  and that blew my chances of growing up and being a Pharmacist. Of course, my reason for wanting to be one was that I could get all the dope I wanted...

Danny gave account of his life and how he missed been a Pharmacist which he has to live with but he regretted not being a Pharmacist.

5 Regret Quotes

1.I made decisions that I regret, and I took them as
learning experiences... I'm human, not perfect, like
anybody else.
Queen Latifah

2. It was at age 12 I got my first felony, and that blew my chances of growing up and being a pharmacist
Danny Stevenson

3.Has this world been so kind to you that you should
leave with regret? There are better things ahead
than any we leave behind.
C. S. Lewis

4.Never do today what you can do tomorrow.
Something may occur to make you regret your
premature action.
Aaron Burr

5.I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my
country.
Nathan Hale


Common Regrets

In a book titled "The Top 5 Regrets of the Dying", a nurse, monitored and penned the most common regrets from patients on their death beds.
Excerpts from an Huffington Post article below:


  • I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.“This was the most common regret of all. When people realize that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honored even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made. Health brings a freedom very few realize, until they no longer have it.”
  •  I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.“This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children’s youth and their partner’s companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, but as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence.”
  •  I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.“Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result.”
  • I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.“Often they would not truly realize the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying.”
  •  I wish that I had let myself be happier.”This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realize until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called ‘comfort’ of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content, when deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again.”

Ways to Avoid Regret



According to Chris Herd  Huffpost contributor,  one can avoid regret in these following ways:

  1. Never stop learning: Whether that is reading a book, listening to a pod cast or completing a MOOC online. You need to take continue to take responsibility for your own learning and actively pursue means to improve. Read for 1 hour every single day.By reading one hour a day, regardless of your perceived level of knowledge, you can become a world leading expert in any subject in 7 years. If you begin now, you could become a world leading expert in your chosen field in less than 10% of your lifetime. It obviously requires commitment and consistency but its incredibly easy to sit and read if you are literate. 42% of college graduates never read another book after college so think how far ahead that could get you.
  2. Do something different: If you zig when others zag you will avoid being in the majority making it easier to rise to the top. Its far easiest to be great in a smaller pool.Unmercifully pursue your dreams. Pursue the thing you are passionate about and spend time actively practising them. Malcolm Gladwell popularised the 10,000 hours of practice to attain world class status at anything, but I would propose you're learning curve is far shorter if you truly love what you do. It also wont feel like a chore.Compete against people better than you. Go places where you know you will be at a disadvantage. Competing against superior performers will expose you to strategies which enable you to alter your own. You'll learn tricks and spot hints to improve your own performance you won't learn in years of competing against rookies.
  3. Give yourself too little time: Purposefully give yourself less time than you know you need to achieve something. You'll surprise yourself or be forced to invent creative ways to improve your efficiency. It might help you spot trends from alternative industries/activities/sports you can utilise in a new way. In business it is often better to repackage and existing average idea and improve on it to achieve greatness.
  4. Set goals : write them down. recording your goals will make you 100% more likely to achieve them. Write short, medium and long term goals and actively track your progress against them. It will give you a sense of achievement which will inspire you and spur you on.
  5. Be more original: Following the status-quo may help you achieve short term academic success, it might assist in enabling you to pass exams and get into university, but ultimately it is going to detrimentally affect your creativity. Take risks, spot chances and dove in. Share your ideas and get feedback. Be brave.
  6. Constantly evolve: Make at least one improvement that makes you better at something every single day. It sounds daunting, but improvements don’t have to be huge, they can be really small which incrementally leads to huge change. Think improving just 1% each day and build upon that every single day. Doing so has a dramatic effect and will make us 37x better, not 365% (3.65x) better at the end of the year. Wake up every day and ask yourself what is the 1% improvement I can change to make myself better personally and professionally.Imagine yourself making 1% changes every day that compounds and will make you 37x better by the end of the year. Imagine if everybody was doing the same. Imagine how much better you and the world will be next year.Never wait for things. You need to fight to improve. Good things come to those who go out and get them, nobody achieved greatness waiting for it to find them.Sitting on your death bed, reflecting back on all you have achieved, the things you missed out on, the places you've seen, the things you done, would you be pleased with the story you've written or filled with regret at the opportunities you missed?When I'm struggling for motivation, feeling lathargic and generally struggling to achieve anything of significance I reflect back on a diary I've kept of the goals and dreams I hope to achieve. I've written down short, medium and long term goals which enable me to track my progress towards the things I aspire to and hold myself to account. It spurs me on to progress as I have definitive timescales I've committed to and established routes to success which I've tirelessly researched. These are based on historical precedent acquired from trusted peers and people I admire.


Motivation comes from recognising the morality of life and the fear of regret. The fear of never achieving anything of significance awakens me with passion each and every morning. It forces me to progress knowing each day is a step forward but one day less that I have to achieve.
You have the gift of life today, if you wouldn't read the story of your life make changes now before it is too late.

Folks I hope you enjoy this article? I will be grateful if you can share it with you friends.  Thanks.

Comments

  1. An interesting article about regret. But I think it's somehow too pesimistic. The article could be written more sharply and focus on overcoming regrets and how to avoid it. I can provide you with high-quality writing assistance as a writer if you need this in order to make the articles better in the future. I'll be glad to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, really glad to see such a great & detailed article! You've made my day! Thanks a lot!
    Hey, there, I've seen your website you've mentioned above & I really liked it a lot. I would like to add it to my best writing services review here. Please contact if you're interested. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't need any "help" in your writing,you wrote a well thought out piece here.
    Regret is one of the most human emotions and its SUPPOSED to be pessimistic.
    Thanks for taking the time to share this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It good to have you around. Your feedback really matter as we are here because of you. To make things easier,you can comment as an anonymous. Thanks

Popular posts from this blog

TO ALL DREAMERS OUT THERE

William Shakespeare Quotes

Elena's Diary Part 4